Can’t play HD MKV movies on Android tablet or smartphone? It’s a common question among Android users. Need a nice MKV Player for Android OS-based devices? I googled “MKV Player for Android” or “Play MKV movie on Android” and found many questions, such as:
Question 1: What is the best MKV player for Android?
“I would like to play 1080p/720p MKV movies on my new Nexus 7. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.”
Question 2: Best MKV Player for Android
“Trying to find the best MKV Player for Android, paid or free, doesn’t matter. I am currently using MX Player but the volume is pretty low even using Volume+Thank you”
Question 3: Best MKV Player?
“I have already tried MX Player, Moboplayer, and Diceplayer, and all of them seem to lag while playing 720p mkv files. Are there any video players that can play without lag causing the audio and video to go out of sync?”
MKV is a container format developed by Matroska. It is becoming more and more popular since it can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks in one file. However, MKV can’t be accepted by most player, mobile devices, Android included. So how can you play 1080p or 720p MKV movies on Android tablet/phone? What’s the best video player for Android that supports .mkv playback?
Here you’ll find it out! In order to solve the problem of playing MKV movie on Android, this article gives you two feasible methods to watch MKV movies on any popular Android phones and tablets effectively:
- Get a Best MKV Player for Android.
- Free download a best MKV to Android converter to convert MKV with dts audio to MP4 for freely playing on Android OS-based devices.
Method 1: Install Media Player for Android
The first way that most people first consider is to install a video player for Android that can play AVI, WMV, MPG, MOV, MKV files. If you search online, you will find there are many free MKV players for Android in the market and most of them are free. Popular Android MKV players include MoboPlayer, MX Player and RockPlayer2. With a smart player installed on your Android device, you can play MKV movies without conversion on your Android device.
Note that though there are so many MKV media players for Android, many of them can’t play HD 720p or 1080p MKV videos in high quality on your device. What’s more, some apps will slow download your device. Does this mean that you can’t view your MKV videos on your Android devices? Never mind, you have another choice.
Method 2: Convert MKV to Android supported format
The best way to play MKV movies on Android is to change MKV to Android compatible formats like MP4. To achieve it, you can use Wondershare MKV to Android Converter to convert MKV format to Android friendly MP4 and then transfer to your Android device. It also supports Mac version: Mac MKV to Android Converter.
This method helps to:
- Play 720p or 1080p MKV movies on Android Tablets and Phones including Samsung, Google, Amazon, Sony, Asus, Acer, HTC, Motorola, LG, Lenovo, Toshiba, Barnes & Noble, Tesco, VTech, Kurio, Coby, Kobo, Archos and etc.
- Play 1080p or 720p MKV on Android Tablets like Samsung Galaxy S7, S6, Galaxy Tab S, Galaxy NotePro, Galaxy TabPro, Galaxy Note 3, Google new Nexus 7, Sony Xperia Z2, Tesco Hudl, Nabi 2/Nabi, Nook HD/HD+, Amazon Kindle Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Asus Transformer Book Duet TD300, MeMO Pad FHD 10, HTC One Max and so on.
- Play HD MKV in 1080p or 720p on other devices like Samsung TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, VLC, WDTV, Plex, iTunes, iPad Air, iPhone 5S/5C, BlackBerry Z30/Z10, PSP, PS4/PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and more.
- Play other video formats including AVI, VOB, M2TS, M2T, Tivo, WMV, MOV, MPG, DivX, FLV, WTV, MXF, MVI, ASF, VRO and more on Android/Apple/Windows devices or Kids Tablets.
Download, insatll and launch the program. The interface of the software is as below. Generally, the conversion process can be completed in 3 simple steps.
Step 1. Load MKV videos to the MKV to Android converter
The first way of adding MKV files is to click “Add Files” icon at the top right corner of this program window. The second way of importing video files is to simply drag the videos you want from your computer to this app. After that, all imported MKV files will appear as thumbnails in this app’s left item tray. If you have multiple MKV files, this MKV to Android Converter supports batch import and conversion.
Tips: If you want to personalize your MKV videos, you can clip or edit them: clip videos to get the wanted segments, crop the black bars and adjust video effects.
Step 2. Choose MP4 as the output format.
Click ”Format” bar and choose MP4, Android or your Android device model as the output video format.
Here, you just need to select the optimized presetting provided by this app. Go to the “Output Format” pane on the right side of the window, click the “Format” icon, and then in the following output format window, hit the Device tab, next, click up-down arrow button on the menu to navigate to your own Android devices like Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony or Others. Or you can also choose “MP4” format as output formats.
In the “Output Folder”, click “Open Folder” button to change the default destination, select the right folder that will hold the converted videos. And to get customized MP4 videos, you can adjust video effect, do video trimming and cropping, setting professional parameters etc.
Step 3. Convert MKV to Android compatible-format
If you have done all these settings, just click “Convert” button to start converting your MKV videos to the Android format you select. And the converting progress will be finished within minutes.
Now, connect your Android to computer and transfer the output videos to Android tablet or phone. Then you can enjoy the MKV movies, popular TV shows and other interesting videos on your fancy Android devices.
It’s so easy, right? Just enjoy it!
1. MX Player – is a great way to enjoy your movies. MX Video Player is the first Android video player that performs multi-core decoding. Provides highly optimized Codecs and Rendering Engines for the processors including ARM NEON and NVIDIA Tegra 2. Easily zoom in and out by pinching and swiping across screen. Scroll on subtitle text and playback position will be adjusted to match previous or next subtitle timing. Keep your kids entertained without having to worry that they can make calls or touch other apps.
What’s new in this version: Support Android 4.4 KitKat.
2. MoboPlayer – Watch any of your videos on a phone without conversion, anytime and anywhere.
- All video formats (need to choose “software decoding” mode in most cases).
- Popular subtitle formats such as SRT, ASS, and SAA.
- Subtitles built in MKV, MPV and MOV.
- Multi-audio streams and multi-subtitles.
- Playlists and continuous play on same type files.
- Videos streamed through HTTP, RTSP protocols.
- Media libraries and sort videos by type.
- Thumbnail displays of videos.
3. RockPlayer – now goes release 2! It plays almost everything faster, audio video are synchronized perfectly, its user experience is optimized for touch screen and lots of features are added, like gestures to control playing.
Don’t panic if Google Play Store said your country is not support or not compatible with your device, you may download apk from http://rockplayer.com to install. We support all devices running Android 2.3 or higher.
This is for ARM processor, Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 (santos 103) is using X86 processor, please install RockPlayer2 for x86 instead.
- Play all formats fluently
- Video: mkv, avi, rmvb, flv, wmv, mov, mp4, ts, mpg, divx, etc.
- Music: mp3, wma, aac, etc.
- Lossless Audio: ape, flac, wav, aiff, etc.
- Subtitle: srt (automatically load if srt with same name of video file exists)
- Exchange files between many devices over Wi-Fi
- Share to any RockPlayer2 user, both Android or iOS, more in future.