Can’t play HD MKV movies on Android tablet or smartphone? It’s a common question among Android users. Need a nice MKV Player for Android OS-based devices? I googled “MKV Player for Android” or “Play MKV movie on Android” and found many questions, such as:
Question 1: What is the best MKV player for Android?
“I would like to play 1080p/720p MKV movies on my new Galaxy S22. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.”
Question 2: Best MKV Player for Android
“Trying to find the best MKV Player for Android, paid or free, doesn’t matter. I am currently using MX Player but the volume is pretty low even using Volume+Thank you”
Question 3: Best MKV Player?
“I have already tried MX Player, Moboplayer, and Diceplayer, and all of them seem to lag while playing 720p mkv files. Are there any video players that can play without lag causing the audio and video to go out of sync?”
MKV is a container format developed by Matroska. It is becoming more and more popular since it can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks in one file. However, MKV can’t be accepted by most player, mobile devices, Android included. So how can you play 1080p or 720p MKV movies on Android tablet/phone? What’s the best video player for Android that supports .mkv playback?
Here you’ll find it out! In order to solve the problem of playing MKV movie on Android, this article gives you two feasible methods to watch MKV movies on any popular Android phones and tablets effectively:
Method 1: Install Free MKV Media Player for Android Table and Phone
The first way that most people first consider is to install a video player for Android that can play AVI, WMV, MPG, MOV, MKV files. If you search online, you will find there are many free MKV players for Android in the market and most of them are free. Popular Android MKV players include Wondershare Player for Android, MoboPlayer, MX Player, RockPlayer2, VLC and BSPlayer. With a smart player installed on your Android device, you can play MKV movies without conversion on your Android device.
1. Wondershare Player for Android
Wondershare Player for Android is a popular application used to play MKV on Android Phone. The greatest advantage of this application is that it can be directly be downloaded from the Google Play Store. It has a desktop version too which is known as Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate). Of all the 4 MKV Players, Wondershare Player has the simplest and easiest to use interface.
2. MoboPlayer for Android
MoboPlayer – Watch any of your videos on a phone without conversion, anytime and anywhere. It’s another one of the best 3rd party video, audio players available for Android devices. It can also be used to stream MKV to Android. Though it has a relatively complex interface, it isn’t as complex as some of the other players out there and is still very much usable. It was once on the top of the Android Players list. Over the years, its popularity has decreased a bit.
- All video formats (need to choose “software decoding” mode in most cases).
- Popular subtitle formats such as SRT, ASS, and SAA.
- Subtitles built in MKV, MPV and MOV.
- Multi-audio streams and multi-subtitles.
- Playlists and continuous play on same type files.
- Videos streamed through HTTP, RTSP protocols.
- Media libraries and sort videos by type.
- Thumbnail displays of videos.
3. MX Player for Android
MX Player – is a great way to enjoy your movies. MX Video Player is the first Android video player that performs multi-core decoding. Provides highly optimized Codecs and Rendering Engines for the processors including ARM NEON and NVIDIA Tegra 2. Easily zoom in and out by pinching and swiping across screen. Scroll on subtitle text and playback position will be adjusted to match previous or next subtitle timing. Keep your kids entertained without having to worry that they can make calls or touch other apps.
4. RockPlayer2 for Android
RockPlayer2 – RockPlayer2 is still a bit crude and needs a lot of bug fixes to reach the desired final state of tune. But it has already started winning the hearts of people all over the globe. This is due to it plays almost everything faster, audio video are synchronized perfectly, its user experience is optimized for touch screen and lots of features are added, like gestures to control playing.
Don’t panic if Google Play Store said your country is not support or not compatible with your device, you may download apk from http://rockplayer.com to install. We support all devices running Android 2.3 or higher.
- Play all formats fluently
- Video: mkv, avi, rmvb, flv, wmv, mov, mp4, ts, mpg, divx, etc.
- Music: mp3, wma, aac, etc.
- Lossless Audio: ape, flac, wav, aiff, etc.
- Subtitle: srt (automatically load if srt with same name of video file exists)
- Exchange files between many devices over Wi-Fi
- Share to any RockPlayer2 user, both Android or iOS, more in future.
5. VLC for Android
The best-recommended solution is VLC for Android. This free media player has the capabilities to play almost any video or audio format thrown at it, and MKV format is not an exception. Although some users have cited issues with performance while playing MKV, I have never had any issues on my side. Nonetheless, it is worthwhile.
All formats are supported, including MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, Ogg, FLAC, TS, M2TS, Wv and AAC. All codecs are included with no separate downloads. It supports subtitles, Teletext and Closed Captions.
6. BSPlayer for Android
BSPlayer is top hardware accelerated video player for Android smartphones and tablet PCs. This media player has superb gesture support and a user-friendly interface that makes it stand out from the crowd. This option is recommended for playing MKV as it has supported a variety of other video formats.
Note that though there are so many MKV media players for Android, many of them can’t play HD 720p or 1080p MKV videos in high quality on your device. What’s more, some apps will slow download your device. Does this mean that you can’t view your MKV videos on your Android devices? Never mind, you have another choice.
Method 2: Convert MKV to Android supported formats
The best way to play MKV movies on Android is to change MKV to Android compatible formats like MP4. To achieve it, you can use Wondershare MKV to Android Converter to convert MKV format to Android friendly MP4 and then transfer to your Android device.
This method helps to:
- Convert MKV to 1000+ formats, like AVI, MKV, MOV, MP4, etc.
- Play 1080p or 720p MKV on Android Tablets like Samsung Galaxy S22, Galaxy S series, Galaxy Tab S, Galaxy NotePro, Galaxy TabPro, Galaxy Note, Google Nexus, Sony Xperia, Tesco Hudl, Nabi, Nook HD/HD+, Amazon Kindle Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Asus Transformer, MeMO Pad, HTC One and so on.
- Play HD MKV in 1080p or 720p on other devices like Samsung TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, VLC, WDTV, Plex, iTunes, iPad Air, iPhone 5S/5C, BlackBerry Z30/Z10, PSP, PS4/PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and more.
- Play other video formats including AVI, VOB, M2TS, M2T, Tivo, WMV, MOV, MPG, DivX, FLV, WTV, MXF, MVI, ASF, VRO and more on Android/Apple/Windows devices or Kids Tablets.
- Convert to optimized preset for almost all of the devices.
- 90X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters.
- Edit, enhance & personalize your video files.
Burn video to playable DVD with an attractive free DVD template.
- Download or record videos from video sharing sites.
- Versatile toolbox combines fix video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, VR converter, and screen recorder.
- Stream your videos from Windows or Mac to other devices, including Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Xbox 360 or PS3.
- Supported OS: Windows 11/10/8/7/XP/Vista, macOS 11 Big Sur, 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Download, insatll and launch the program. The interface of the software is as below. Generally, the conversion process can be completed in 3 simple steps.
Step 1. Load MKV videos to the MKV to Android converter
The first way of adding MKV files is to click “Add Files” icon at the top right corner of this program window. The second way of importing video files is to simply drag the videos you want from your computer to this app. After that, all imported MKV files will appear as thumbnails in this app’s left item tray. If you have multiple MKV files, this MKV to Android Converter supports batch import and conversion.
Tips: If you want to personalize your MKV videos, you can clip or edit them: clip videos to get the wanted segments, crop the black bars and adjust video effects.
Step 2. Choose MP4 as the output format.
Here, you just need to select the optimized presetting provided by this app. Go to the “Output Format” pane on the right side of the window, click the “Video” icon, on the right side of the software interface, you’ll find all the available formats that you can convert your MKV files into. RMVB, FLV, MP4, MKV, AVI and 3GP are all supported by Android device, just select one you prefer.
Tips: Wondershare UniConverter is truly a lifesaver for the not-so-tech-savvy among us. It comes with a ton of preset modes optimized for the various devices from Apple, Windows, Android, Zune, and other VR and gaming consoles. You can also use one of these preset modes to quickly and easily convert your MKV file to a file format that is compatible with your particular device.
Select the Corresponding Android Device
For this step, go to the drop-down list of Output Format: and click the Device. There you’ll see a lot Android device name for your choice, just select the corresponding device you want to play the converted MKV file with. See the image attached.
Click “File Location” button to change the default destination, select the right folder that will hold the converted videos. And to get customized MP4 videos, you can adjust video effect, do video trimming and cropping, setting professional parameters etc.
Step 3. Convert MKV to Android compatible-format
If you have done all these settings, just enable the High Speed Conversion and click on the Convert tab or Start All tab. Wait for a short for the software to finish converting. After this is done, check the Finished tab on the top for the converted files. It may take a few minutes or more for this process to complete, depending on the size of your MKV file.
Now, connect your Android to computer and transfer the output videos to Android tablet or phone. Then you can enjoy the MKV movies, popular TV shows and other interesting videos on your fancy Android devices.
Here are some additional tips that’ll help in playing the MKV file properly on your Android device.
- Always prefer an MKV Player, such as Wondershare Player for Android, to run your MKV files over converting into a different file format.
- Be very careful with the process of converting MKV into another file format as sometimes if the converter you’re using is not good enough, the file can get corrupted. Recommendation: use Wondershare UniConverter (originally Video Converter Ultimate) for an error free conversion.
- Remember to save the file in both the formats, in case you ever need the original MKV file. This will act as a backup for the future.
- Wondershare Filmora X (originally Video Editor) is a video editing tool that enables you to With edit MKV video to your desired effect.
It’s so easy, right? Just enjoy it! We hope that you had a great time learning how to play MKV on Android devices.