Edit your raw footage and make the stunning, Hollywood-level video contents using Filmora new-added features. Welcome to the arrival for the 2022 best SRT video editing software – Filmora 11.3. The updated version comes with expecting and useful functions.
Filmora Hears Users’ Requirements
- How do I permanently add SRT files to MP4?
- How can I add subtitles to a video automatically?
- How to Add External SRT Subtitles to Video
- How do I use transform speech to text?
- How do I turn text to speech on?
- How do I overlay subtitles to a video?
- How to Hardcode Subtitles?
What’s New In Filmora 11.3
- Generate audio waves for your music – Video Visualizer
- quick conversion for more convenience – Speech to Text/Text to Speech
- Add external subtitle file to your videos – Support SRT file
- Make clips more vivid – Support HDR
Today let’s talk more about supporting SRT subtitles file and why you need to add subtitles to video.
SRT is a common subtitle or caption file format ending with .srt extension name. Its full name is SubRip Subtitle, which generally is from DVD ripping software. Each SRT file contains subtitle text and timing information. SRT files show subtitles contents. This kind of file format can be displayed in various media players.
You may wonder why it is important to add external SRT Subtitle to a movie or video. This feature helps people watch movies or dramas in their understood language as long as they find one native language SRT file of the movie or the drama. Especially for those who have deaf or hearing impairment. For whatever reason, if you want to know how to add external SRT Subtitle to movie/video, this article is right for you. Keep reading!
Show SRT Files in Different Media Players
- Windows Media Player
- CyberLink PowerDirector 365
- VideoLAN VLC media player.
- Media Player Classic
SRT Downloading Sites for You to Get Subtitle or Caption File
- English Subtitles
- Subtitle Seeker
- DIVX Subtitles
- YIFY Subtitles
Now set Filmora and UniConverter as the example to see the detailed step by step.
Part 1. How to Add external SRT Subtitle to Movie/Video Using Filmora?
To add and edit SRT subtitles in your own language to videos, Wondershare Filmora is a great helper. It is available for Windows and Mac users. The program features timeline-based video editing, uploading srt files, automatic transcription or manual subtitle addition, and provides a wealth of resources for you to choose and further customize. With it, you can also create personalized subtitles to add to your videos to impress everyone. Go to Mac Version >>
Upload a SRT File
- Filmora supports the import of external files including SRT format, and offers timeline functionality to quickly modify subtitles.
- Change subtitles.
- Add/remove/merge subtitle strips.
- Change subtitle styles.
Speech to Text
Converting Voice to Subtitles in One Click
- Automatically recognize the speech in your video and transcribe it to text.
- High accuracy with the application of industry-leading algorithms.
- Support up to 16 languages.
Subtitle a Video Manually
- Drag-and-drop subtitles to your video easily using customizable premade templates.
- Change the font, size, color, alignment, and more of the text.
- Apply text animations, 80+ animation presets available.
- Add more cool text effects.
Before starting, download Wondershare Filmora free trial below:
Now, I will show step by step how to Add SRT Subtitles to Video.
Step 1. Run Filmora and Create a project file.
Step 2. Import Raw Video Footage and SRT file to the Media Library. Here please note: Do give the video file and the srt file the same name.
Step 3. Drag and Drop Source Video and the SRT subtitle to the Timeline.
See the Sample SRT File Content here. It contains the time to display the subtitle or caption when the video is playing as well as the text.
Step 4. Double Click on the SRT Subtitle File.
You can see the subtitle, preset and custom settings. In Subtitles tab, it shows the time code for showing captions and the text content.
In Preset tab, double click on the text templates and preview on the preview window.
In Custom tab, you can set the subtitle animation: check Fade in and out to set how the captions or subtitles start to display and disappear. Moreover, in Input Text, click to select the position of showing the subtitle on the video.
If you will always use the style you set in custom, then click SAVE AS CUSTOME. In order to apply the subtitle settings to all the videos, then check the option Apply all.
Step 5. Click Export in the Destanation Format to the Output Folder.
The Tips You Need to Know
For Windows users:
- Copy the SRT caption file to the same library folder as the source video.
- Make sure that the name of the SRT file is same as the video. For example, if your footage video is titled “video1.mkv,” then the SRT file must be titled “video1.srt”.
For Mac users:
- SRT files are just plain text documents. That means they can be read on Mac’s Preview app. They are usually included with downloaded movies or TV shows.
- For different players on Mac you may have different solutions to open a Srt file, but the routine is to open your video with player and find “Open File” or “Media” to choose your Srt file to make it work.
Part 2. How to Add SRT Subtitle to Video Using UniConverter?
Wondershare UniConverter is also an ideal subtitle adding tool. This excellent software allows you to add the created local SRT file to video formats like MP4, MOV, M4V, and many others. After adding, you can edit the font color, size, type, style, transparency, position, outline color, and outline width. You also have the option to download subtitles or create new SRT subtitles from scratch.
- Add subtitles from the local PC or Internet online.
- Extract subtitles from MP4, MKV, DVD and any video file in .SRT, .SSA, and .ASS.
- Edit subtitles by adjusting font, font color, font size, transparency, position, and more.
- Support multiple audio track and subtitles and freely switch on/off subtitles.
- Convert video to MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI, and over 1000 video/audio formats with subtitles.
- Burn and customize your video to DVD with free DVD menu templates.
- Download or record videos from 10,000+ video sharing sites.
- Versatile toolbox includes GIF maker, image converter, video compressor, screen recorder, CD burner, fix video metadata, etc.
Steps to Add an SRT Subtitle File to Videos using UniConverter:
Step 1. Load the video file to edit.
Run Subtitle Adder on your PC, then click the Add Files tab from the Converter tab on the left pane to upload your video.