There are one similar question mark always in the mind of the videographer, YouTubers or the amateurs who love making videos: how to make my footage unique and creative? Any way to have my own videos more extraordinary and remarkable? The answer may be to use the different editing ways such as green screen, motion tracking, split screen, audio ducking, auto beat sync, auto re-frame, etc. Each editing method will inspire you to gain the amazing result. Today let’s dive into one special effect: Speed Ramping.
Part 1. What is Speed Ramping
It is an film-making technology and also named as time remapping. Just like the meaning of ramp itself, you can speed up or slow down the footage recorded by the various smart phones or UHD cameras for the purpose of creating a significant cinematic effect. Meanwhile in one complete clip, the editing tech helps mainly process the transition between two different speeds. It can be smooth and soft. Or it can be also sharp and abrupt. The final display depends on what you require.
When you want to play the video clips back with different speeds, then speed ramping will be applied. Simply put, we shoot the videos at a certain frame rate and they are viewed at another frame rate. The difference presentation is the ramping result. With this video effect, the final video performance will draw more attention and eye-catching.
Part 2. Why Use Speed Ramping
It is a good trick if you want a highlight moment in your movie or story. Furthermore, it is a cool thing to add more dynamics to your edit. Imagine these pictures: a drop of water slowly falls into the cup. It gives you the feeling: clean, pure and beautiful; The football or soccer player kicks hard and shoots a goal in slow motion camera mode. You can relive the wonderful moments. All in all, this editing effect can not be missed for making the excellent video masterpiece.
Part 3. Questions Online About Doing a Smooth Ramp
You are likely to have the similar questions on your mind as below when it comes to this video effect. We collect them from online and list here for you as a reference.
- What is it called when you speed up a video?
- How do you do speed ramping in Premiere Pro?
- Is it easy to change the speed of a video?
- Are there any way to speed up a ramp smoothly?
- How to create energetic videos using speed ramping?
- Do you know to smoothly slow down videos?
- How to speed ramp your videos?
- What is speed ramping in video editing
- How do I speed up a ramp in Adobe?
- How do you speed up a clip in premiere 2022
- What is the art of speed ramping?
- Can you speed up a video in editing?
Part 4. Good Video Samples of Speed Ramping
Now we will display several video examples of speed ramping from today’s creators on Tiktok.
Part 5. 2022 Top Speed Ramping Video Editing Software
We test a bunch of software with ramping feature. We make a top list. You can pick one you like. If you are professional, then choose Adobe PR or Final Cut Pro. If you are just a fan for editing video or a novice, then Wondershare Filmora will be a good option.
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Final Cut Pro
- Corel VideoStudio
- Pinnacle Studio
- CyberLink PowerDirector
- Adobe Premiere Element
- Apple Motion
- Adobe After Effects
- VSDC Free Video Editor
Part 6. How to Do a Speed Ramping Effect for Action Footage in Filmora?
Filmora helps a lot on making fantastic videos for output on multiple social media platforms such as Facebook, YouTube or Instagram. Speed ramping, without any doubt, is contained in Filmora. Not only can Filmora be used to slow down or speed up video, it can also be used for functions like swiping, cropping, AI Portrait, or reversing video, as well as other advanced features like green screen, picture-in-picture, and standoff. Recent improvements to the user interface support easier access to more tools.
Filmora offers two ways to create slow motion effects in your videos. The fastest way to apply a slow motion effect to video is to select the target clip in the timeline, click the speed icon in the toolbar, and choose from 0.5X, 0.25X, 0.1X, 0.05X, and 0.01X. The smaller the preset, the slower the video.
- Best video editing software for beginner and semi-professional, that comes with powerful editing skills like trimming, splitting, rotating, editing, etc.
- Advanced video effects like green screen, PIP, audio mixer, etc. can also be found and applied to your video within few clicks.
- 500+ free special video effects to customize and create an awesome movie by yourself.
- 1000+ standalone effects downloading resources to make videos in all kinds of styles.
- Export videos to Chromebooks compatible format with 1 simple click.
The following guide will give you the clear direction for using speed ramping with the help of this video editing application.
How to Speed Up A Video with Filmora?
Step 1: Import the Source Video
Start Filmora on your computer. Click Import button to input the video into the library. Of course, you can also drag and drop the video directly to the interface of Filmora.
Step 2: Alter the Speed
Drag the video onto the timeline, right-click on it. Select “Speed and Duration” and choose 2x to enhance the speed twice the original.
Step 3: Modify the Duration
Now you can modify the duration of the video. Change the original video length to make it less than the actual one. Click “OK” to preview and see it looks right or not.
Step 4: Export the Final Video
Once it is done, go to “File” panel and select “Save Project”. Rename the project and click “Save.” Or you can hit “Export” and change the output file name. The video can be exported to a device, system, or even YouTube.
How to Slow Down A Video with Filmora?
Step 1: Run Filmora
Import the video into the software by either browsing it or dragging or dropping the content. Then drag it to the timeline ready for editing.
Step 2: Change the Speed
Right-click on the video in the timeline. Choose “Speed and Duration”. A setting window will pop up. Modify the duration of the video to make it less than 1x, which is the previous speed.
Step 3: Change the Duration
Here type in the duration more than the actual one. Hit “OK” once the this modification is done. The user can preview the video to know if the changes are good to go.
Step 4: Export the Video
Now save the video. Navigate to the “File” tab and hit “Save Project.” Change the file name and Press “Save.” You can also choose to export the video to any device or YouTube, Vimeo, or DVD.
Part 7. Factors You Need to Consider to Implement Speed Ramp Effect
- Shoot or record your video clips at a high frame rate. In this way, when doing a slow motion effect, you won’t lose too much video quality.
- Highlight or locate the important parts of your video correctly so that your viewers will capture the best part quickly and easily.
- Be clear before shooting your movie that you hope to get a footage in a high beat rhythm or not.
- Decide that a quick, sharp speed transition or a soft, longer ramp is what you need.
- Maybe muting the original audio is a must when doing speed changing effect. Consider to put a new sound track to enhance the video effect.